7 of the Greatest Opportunities to People Development
Only a leader can develop another leader, theory does not develop others without leadership skills.
Imperative to development are:
It takes a leader to know a leader: recruitment and positioningIt takes a leader to show a leader: modelling and equipping.
It takes a leader to grow a leader: development, empowerment and measurement
1. Recruitment: find the best people possible.
- Success comes from identifying the greatest potential and natural attributes, not recruiting from standard principles of politics, seniority, convenience, credentials. These often backfire...promised accomplishments not delivered.
- The more detail you have, the clearer, more concise and relevant the role description, the easier it is to identify the right candidate
- Identify: Chemistry (likeability), Character (trust), Capacity (desire for growth), Contribution (level of excellence)
- Consider: Stress Mgmt (resilience to pressure, deadlines, Failure, obstacles), Skill (task completion), Thinking (creativity, strategy, problem solving, adaptability), Leadership (gain followers and build a team), Attitude (positivity and tenacity amongst negative situations)
2. Positioning: place the right people in the right position for the right reasons
- Understand strengths and weaknesses (opportunities) and develop these to improve the team and organisation
3. Modelling: demonstrate by example how to Lead leveraging:
- Authenticity (foundation), Servitude (sincerity), Growth (measurement), Excellence (standard), Passion (driver), Success (purpose for measuring people)
4. Equipping: help others to do their jobs through:
- personal knowledge of task
- personal demonstration of task
- observation of task
- enable empowerment of task
- allow others to demonstrate to another of task
5. Development: teach others how to enjoy life
There is more to the workplace, relationship and people development than just business position development, identify this by:
- assessment: identify SWOT
- challenge: identify areas of improvement including self education, event participation, new disciplines, mentoring. This follows the responsibilities of the Mentee
- support: identify the right person to support another. This follows the responsibilities of the Mentor
6. Empowerment: enables people to succeed through:
- trust: create a bond
- believe in them: motivate and provide peace of mind
- hold people (including yourself)
- accountable: this increases opportunity for positive results through greater focus, deadlines and expectations
7. Measurement: evaluate to maximise efforts
- success arises from the strength and ability of the team and the leader collectively not by the ability of the manager
- identify by the level of input required
Does this resonate with your knowledge, your experience, your training ?
Let me know your thoughts
#flicktheswitchcoaching #leadership #teamwork #growthMindset #businessSuccess #AustralianBusiness #successthroughleadership