7 Ways to Identify a Damn Good Manager-Leader from Within your Business
“I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples.” —Mother Teresa
Organisations thrive off effective leadership - effective managers and effective teams.
It is impossible to have these roles if organisational culture utilises staff for a profit only focus - and does not build relationships, if it does not recruit the right people to raise standards, by inclusion not demand.
Relationships as you may imagine lead to replacement strategies, replacement strategies lead to motivation, incentivising, productivity, long tenures or retention, and profitability through momentum and engagement.
It is a pretty simple equation - so why is recruitment one of the highest and most concerning expenses of an organisation and also, the one area that is all too often overlooked, why is it an issue…?
Well, if the focus is not on the people and only on the result, how will the result be achieved completely if the people are not completely engaged; and if this is the case, why are they not engaged….people are not lazy - they are passionate, they are waiting and/ or hoping for direction and/ or opportunity to be, do, have more.
So why blame lazy or a resignation on “they were the wrong cultural fit for the organisation” and use this deflected excuse after they were employed in the first place.
Since when is recruitment, practice…?
Recruitment is an investment from both parties, not submission and plea from one and expectation without conscience from the other…Only a quality leader can develop another leader.
Theoretical leaders aka Managers leverage position. They cannot develop another person to an effective leadership status, because their focus is on themselves. So do you want a Manager or a Leader ?
John Maxwell says:
"It takes a leader to know a leader: this refers to recruitment and positioningIt takes a leader to show a leader" : This refers to modelling and training
It take a leader to grow a leader: development, empowerment and measurement
1. So let’s start with Recruitment: finding the best people possible
Success comes from identifying those with the greatest potential, those with natural behaviours.
It does not follow standard recruitment principles of seniority, convenience, politics or longevity.
The more detail you have on a person, a modelled environment, a strategy, forward mentor program and the clearer, more concise and relevant the role description, the easier it is to identify the right candidate.
Effective recruitment requires identifying the following:
- Chemistry (likeability)
- Character (trust)
- Capacity (desire for growth)
- Contribution (level of excellence)
We must also know their
- Stress Mgmt (resilience to pressure, deadlines, Failure, obstacles)
- Skill (ability to complete tasks)
- Thinking (their creativity, strategy, problem solving, adaptability)
- Leadership (the ability to gain followers and build a team)
- Attitude (positivity and tenacity during negative situations or how they perform when facing adversity)
2. From Recruitment we move to Positioning: placing the right people in the right position for the right reasons
Understanding peoples strengths and weaknesses (opportunities) and developing these to improve the team and organisation is imperative. The wrong attitude in the wrong position results in negative teamwork, poor retention and hidden agendas. It is not what you want in any organisation.
3. Position provides Modelling: demonstrating by example how to Lead.
(note: each of the following points I share, may be measured through eDISC profiling and Meta Dynamics questionnaires also available through Flick the Switch Coaching)
Effective Leadership Modelling requires:
- Authenticity (foundation)
- Servitude (sincerity)
- Growth (measurement)
- Excellence (standards)
- Passion (drivers)
- Success (the purpose for measuring people)
4. Modelling leads to Training: helping others perform their jobs more effectively.
For this, replication strategies are required, these are based on.
- Can it be received personally
- Can it be repeated easily
- Can it be transferred strategically
Any form of training must include:
- Personal knowledge of task
- Personal demonstration of task
- Observation of task
- Enable empowerment of task
- Allow the other person to demonstrate the same task to another to the same standard
5. Training leads to Development: teaching others how to enjoy life
We spend most of our life in and are focused on the workplace. We spend time more with colleagues than we do our own families, and yes that includes the 3 - 4 weeks break we may take at some point, if at all - it is no wonder that this break is now mandatory leave, given people continue to accrue for financial not personal reason time-off… not good.
There is more to the workplace, a relationship and people development than just a business position development. We can identify this by:
- assessment: SWOT self-analysis
- challenge: identify areas of improvement including self education, event participation, new disciplines, mentoring. This follows the responsibilities of the Mentee
- support: identify the right person to support the next. This follows the responsibilities of the Mentor
6. With effective Development comes Empowerment: enabling people to succeed
This derives from:
- trust: creating a bond
- belief: motivates people and provides peace of mind
- accountability: increases opportunity for positive results through greater focus, deadlines and expectations
7. Finally Empowerment leads to Measurement: the opportunity to evaluate to maximise efforts
When a business is successful internally, success externally is manifold.
Success comes from the strength and ability of the team and the leader collectively not the position of the manager.
I appreciate much of this appears logical - that’s the point - it is logical and yet is seldom utilised.
The surveys are back, Managerial and Leadership direction, inclusion, support and development is behind and is being ignored as profits are used to define a positive culture rather than recognising that a positive culture will amplify profits far beyond their current positioning.
1 - 7 : Effective leadership begins with effective recruitment
If you want or need someone who will drive your team with their permission not limited obligation, begin with these 7 points.
If you want for more than that, let me know, I am happy to discuss with your HR or Senior Management, or share in a team workshop, aligned to the goals and vision of the organisation
If a business strives to multiply in profitability it takes people and accurate recruitment leading to the right position leading to modelling, training, development, empowerment and finally measurement
As I said at the beginning:
“It takes a leader to know a leader. A leader to show a leader. A leader to grow a leader”
If you would benefit from this discussion or know someone who would, let me know, organise an appointment in my calendar.
If you are looking for results, listen, learn, language then lead
Organise a conversation, open the door, step forward
If it matters to You : it matters to Me
#flicktheswitchcoaching #Success #SuccessThroughLeadership #leadership #teamwork #business #accountability #SelfValue #BusinessWomen #Franchising #motivation #BusinessCoach #GrowthMindset #BusinessMentor #Goals #BusinessOwner #SalesSuccess #SydneyBusiness #MelbourneBusiness #BrisbaneBusiness #AucklandBusiness #SelfDevelopment